Bilingual / ESL
The San Elizario Independent School District Bilingual and ESL Department will promote high academic achievement in all content areas through rigorous instruction by meeting the affective, linguistic, and cognitive needs of all English Language Learners.
Our students will graduate prepared and inspired to continue on to a higher education institution where they will become successful, productive citizens in their community.
Our department is committed to providing instructional support to Bilingual/ESL teachers and students alike to ensure consistency and continuity within the program. We will ensure that all Emergent Bilingual students receive academic opportunities to address their needs in order to meet the state's rigorous academic standards. In addition, teachers will have the support that is necessary in order to best serve their students with research-based practices for academic achievement.
- Respects and utilizes the student’s native language, culture, background, and interests in the learning process
- Provides high exposure to oral and written forms of English and Spanish from the onset of students’ schooling
- Accelerates academic progress through best practices for English Language Learners
- Maximizes potential learning by integrating language arts and content area subjects
- Builds and develops basic communication skills and cognitive academic language proficiency
Teachers are encouraged to seek their Bilingual/ESL supplement, particularly at the secondary level. For more information about the endorsement program and requirements, contact the district's Bilingual Department at 915.872.3900